New to my site? Have links you want me to share? Products to offer? Click here.

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Driver's Permit for NC

1. For driver's permit, contact your local public school for requirements, class dates, and registration.

2. I would suggest also calling North Carolina Division of Non-Public Education (NCDNPE) 1(919)733-4276 to make sure their requirements are still the same as what I've listed here.
NCDNPE Student Driving Information.

These are things I needed when my kids got their Driver's Permits.
1.  Contact your local courthouse for a birth certificate if your child was born in the county you live in.  If not, you can request a birth certificate from Raleigh, NC.  1(919)733-3000
Check with your local Driver's License office to make sure the one from Raleigh is the correct birth certificate.  I was told it had to be from the courthouse, not the one I received at my child's birth!  The man at the DMV said that's usually the Mother's copy, and that it needs to be a certified birth certificate with a raised seal. (not this kind)

2. For any non-public school that has been registered with NCDNPE for more than 6 months, you may call them at the above number and request a verification of school form. (not sure what the "correct" name for this is)  It will be a sheet of paper that has your school info on it, and will be notarized by NCDNPE.  This is proof that you have a legitimate, registered school.
This will also have the School ID # in the bottom corner that you will need.
I had to take this with me to the local public school upon registration for driver's education classes.

3. Right after student starts classes, you may call NCDNPE or go online to request a DEC (Driver's Eligibility Certificate), which you will fill in and date right before going to get the permit in case you don't get to go right away -- the DEC is only good for so many days after the date.  This will be a notarized half-sheet of paper.  When requesting online, you will need the School ID #.

If you call NCDNPE, choose Option 3:  Student Driving.
--Leave this information:
  • Type of school (homeschool)
  • County
  • Name of Chief Administrator (parent's name)
  • Name of School
  • Mailing Address
  • Telephone # w/ area code
  • Number of Certificates needed
4. You will need to take these four things to the DMV when getting the actual permit:
  • Child's Birth Certificate
  • DEC from NCDNPE
  • Certificate issued by the instructor upon completion of actual driving training
  • Child's Social Security card
A parent or legal guardian should take the child, and will need to show his/her own driver's license.

I'm sorry that I have no suggestions on how to get a child's SS card, because I've had my kids' cards since they were born.  If anyone does know, please leave a comment, and I'll check it out and update this post.
Remember, if there are any questions, call NCDNPE.

Allow plenty of time for any documents to be mailed to you, and check what hours the courthouse and Driver's License office are open.


  1. To the person who has left half a dozen comments on this post with a link to your website, I will not publish spam.
    Changing your name each time does not fool anyone.

  2. I received the DEC form and it was blank. It had a seal imprinted, but nothing written on it. Do I put the name of our school or just "homeschool" and the ID #? I assume that I sign where it says signature of school official? Thanks for your help.

    1. I would think you would put the name of your school, and yes, I would assume you would be the one to sign there.
      But it has been about 6 years since I posted this. It might be best to contact NCDNPE since I might not give correct info about that. And their forms may have changed format as well. =)
      Sorry I wasn't more help! =)

  3. I had the same question as anonymous. Just got my daughter's DEC on Friday and was surprised there was nothing on it except the seal imprint. So I'm glad I'm not the only one!

  4. I have to get my DEC to be able to drive but im homeschooled off of pennfoster also. The DMV told me i need a DEC but to order one i need a school id. Can someone give me insight on what to do i paid $400 for driving classes i dont want to see that money go to waist.

    1. #2 in the second section tells how I obtained one. This is for North Carolina and you have to have been registered with NCDNPE for more than 6 months.
      It has been 6 years since I did this process w/ my kids, so I hope this information is still relevant. =)

    2. Hey! I am also enrolled on Penn Foster. Before I was enrolled in that I was going to a public school and took/completed my 30 hours of online class time drivers ed.. all I need is to take my 6 hours of behind the wheel. How can I take this??

    3. Sarah, you may need to contact the school where you took your 30 hours. My kids took their 6 hours behind the wheel with instructors that worked with the public school where they took classes.
      If the school does not offer this, they may know where to direct you for your question.
      Hope that helps!

  5. One thing to keep in mind... not all public schools will give the behind-the-wheel instruction right after the classroom instruction. We had to wait MONTHS before my son was actually given the behind-the-wheel part. I'm very glad I waited to request the DEC or it would have expired before all the instruction was complete.

    1. Good idea! In fact, I think some things have changed in our area since I posted this. I will leave this post though, for parents to be able to see some things they might need to ask questions about.


Thanks for leaving a comment!
If you choose Anonymous, please leave a first name.